EMF research-studies was excited by the discovery of the Schumann Resonances (waves). Further research of the Schumann Resonances led to the understanding that lightning activity also occurred around the 7.83 Hertz level and that these electromagnetic waves were created or excited by lightning strikes that occur at an average rate of about 1000 lightning storms every minute worldwide. These Schumann waves or resonances circumnavigate the globe and create a beating pulse between the ground and the lower ionosphere or pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF).
This frequency correlates with the average frequency of alpha brain waves in human beings. Early studies initiated by Dr. Ankermueller and Dr. Herbert König (Schumann’s Assistant and later Successor) comparing human EEG recordings have demonstrated a correlation between these resonances and brain rhythms. Further studies by Dr. König arrived at the frequency of 7.83 Hz which also applies to mammals.
Numerous studies conducted by the Halberg Chronobiology Center at the University of Minnesota have since shown that there are important links between Schumann, solar and geomagnetic field line resonances and a wide range of human and animal health and wellness indicators.
In 2011, scientists discovered they could also detect this electromagnetic signature / electromagnetic field (EMF) or Schumann Resonance using NASA’s Vector Electric Field Instrument (VEFI) aboard the U.S. Air Force’s Communications/Navigation Outage Forecast System (C/NOFS) satellite.
Early EMF Research-Studies
Japan was one of the first countries to generate various electromagnetic wave shapes by changing electrical currents. Their research started after World War II and quickly was followed in Europe. From 1960 to 1985 nearly every European country was designing and manufacturing its own magnetic therapy systems. In Bulgaria in 1982 the first book on modern electromagnetic field therapy was published by N. Todorov (1). The book summarized his clinical observation using magnetic fields treating 2700 patients with 33 different pathologies.
Spreading to North America in 1971 Friedenberg (2-7) treated non-union fractures with 10 micro amps of direct current and described the successful healing. At Columbia University Medical Center, Dr. Andrew Bassett (8-13) began using very specific, biphasic low frequency electromagnetic signals as a new approach for treating non-healing bone fractures and pseudoarthroses. The FDA in 1979 allowed electromagnetic fields to be used for non-union and delayed union fractures and following that for the treatment of pain and edema in superficial soft tissues.
NASA EMF Research-Studies
NASA has had great interest in the Schumann Resonances following the first Space Missions with Astronauts. How much of an impact did a differing electromagnetic field outside of the influence of the Schumann Resonance have on the health and well being of their Astronauts? NASA studied the effects of weightlessness (14) on Astronauts but what was the effect of PEMF pulsed electromagnetic fields?
Their EMF research & studies outlined in the technical paper presented by Thomas J. Goodwin, Ph.D. of the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center NASA/TP-2003-212054 Study (15) entitled – Physiological And Molecular Genetic Effects Of Time-Varying Electromagnetic Fields On Human Neuron Cells, he noted that:
The studies findings indicated that cells grow faster and stronger and live longer when exposed to low frequency pulsed electromagnetic fields.
NASA also applied for a patent on a pulsed electromagnetic field device based on their research of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields—A Countermeasure for Bone Loss and Muscle Atrophy. This paper (16) presented by researchers at the Johnson Space Center noted that:
“The purpose of these studies is to develop a pulsed electromagnetic field device for use as a noninvasive countermeasure to enhance bone retention, prevent or alleviate muscle atrophy, and augment natural healing/regeneration processes. This research represents a major contribution toward enabling humans to live and work safely in space, and is especially relevant to projected human space exploration. On Earth, this device could be useful in the treatment of various muscle diseases, age- and cancer-related muscle atrophy, osteoporosis, and other bone diseases.”
PEMF Cancer Studies on PubMed.gov
Looking for research and studies on PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields)? Go to US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health at PubMed.gov http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed and search for PEMF and see what other research studies show up. These are the categories of studies with PEMF found on PubMed.
- pemf therapy
- pemf cancer
- pemf pain
- pemf bone
- pemf depression
- pemf brain
- pemf inflammation
- pemf review
- pemf neuropathy
- pemf nerve
- pemf wound
- pemf and osteoporosis
- pemf wound healing
- pemf and cartilage
- pemf bone healing
- pemf and inflammation
- pemf arthritis
- pemf back
- pemf breast
- pemf and depression
Low intensity and frequency pulsed electromagnetic fields selectively impair breast cancer cell viability.
(read below for results and conclusion)
PLoS One. 2013 Sep 11;8(9):e72944. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072944. eCollection 2013.
We observed a discrete window of vulnerability of MCF7 cells to PEMFs of 20 Hz frequency, 3 mT magnitude and exposure duration of 60 minutes per day. The cell damage accrued in response to PEMFs increased with time and gained significance after three days of consecutive daily exposure. By contrast, the PEMFs parameters determined to be most cytotoxic to breast cancer MCF-7 cells were not damaging to normal MCF-10 cells.
Based on our data it appears that PEMF-based anticancer strategies may represent a new therapeutic approach to treat breast cancer without affecting normal tissues in a manner that is non-invasive and can be potentially combined with existing anti-cancer treatments.
Find out How PEMF Works (READ MORE)
PEMF Benefits (READ MORE)
PEMF System Comparisons (READ MORE)
See references to EMF Research & Studies below.
- Todorov, N. (1982). Magnetotherapy (106 p). Sofia: Meditzina I Physcultura Publishing House.
- Friedenberg ZB, Brighton CT. Bioelectric Potentials in Bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1966;48:915–23. [PubMed]
- Friedenberg ZB, Brighton CT. The effect of direct current on bone. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1968;127:97–102. [PubMed]
- Friedenberg ZB, Harlow MC, Brighton CT. Healing of Nonunion of the Medial Malleolus by Means of Direct Current. A Case Report. J Trauma. 1971;11:883–4. [PubMed]
- Friedenberg ZB, Roberts PG, Jr, Didizian NH, Brighton CT. Stimulation of Fracture Healing by Direct Current in the Rabbit Fibula. J Bone and Joint Surg. 1971;53:1400–8. [PubMed]
- Friedenberg ZB, Zemsky LM, Pollis RP, Brighton CT. The Response of Non-Traumatized Bone to Direct Current. J Bone and Joint Surg. 1974;56-A:1023–30. [PubMed]
- Friedenberg ZB, Andrews ET, Smolenski BI, Pearl BW, Brighton CT. Bone Reaction to Varying Amounts of Direct Current. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1970;131:894–9. [PubMed]
- Bassett CA, Pawluk RJ, Pilla AA. Acceleration of Fracture Repair by Electromagnetic Fields. A Surgically Noninvasive Method. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1974;238:242–62. [PubMed]
- Bassett CA, Pawluk RJ, Pilla AA. Augmentation of Bone Repair by Inductively Coupled Electromagnetic Fields. Science. 1974;184:575–7. [PubMed]
- Bassett CA, Pilla AA, Pawluk RJ. A non-operative salvage of surgically-resistant pseudarthroses and non-unions by pulsing electromagnetic fields. A preliminary report. Clin Orthop. 1977;124:128–43. [PubMed]
- Bassett CA, Mitchell SN, Norton L, Pilla A. Repair of Non-Unions by Pulsing Electromagnetic Fields. Acta Orthop Belg. 1978;44:706–24. [PubMed]
- Bassett CAL, Mitchell SN, Gaston SR. Treatment of ununited tibial diaphyseal fractures with pulsing electromagnetic fields. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1981;63:511–23. [PubMed]
- Bassett CA. Electrical Effects in Bone. Scient Am. 1965;213:18–25. [PubMed]